- Consciously choose happiness. Write it out on a big piece of paper and stick it where you will notice it. Today I choose happiness. Try and do at least one thing each day that makes you happy. Listen to an upbeat song, dance, read, go for a brisk walk, cuddle your children. You choose. Make an active choice to choose happiness each day.
- Remind yourself that this too shall pass. Write this one out in bold too. Know that time passes and that you will not be this way forever.
- Surround yourself with a power support team. We all need a fan club. Surround yourself with people that uplift you, that make you feel good about yourself. Allow people to help you. Accept support.
- Empower yourself with information. Do some research, understand your rights and responisibilities in a divorce. Know what you are entitled to by law. This obviously varies according to where you are living. Visit sites like www.thedivorcesource.co.za for insight into South African Divorce Law and local resources.
- Remind yourself that just because you were not enough for one person, you are enough. Say it: I am good enough. I am great. I am worthy of love. I deserve a good life. Say it all the time, remind yourself.
- Be kind to yourself. Divorce can be very challenging. Allow yourself to feel. Don’t judge yourself so harshly. Do something that nurtures you at least once a week.
Divorce does not have to be the end. Sure, it’s tough and it’s horrible and it’s nasty…..but you will emerge through the difficult times and you CAN create a good life for yourself, despite your circumstances…..you just need to make a conscious choice.